Saturday, July 29, 2006

The End

I loved a girl, a lass so fair
I married her, my kids to bear.
To my dear love was I ever true
And till the end, I never knew.
I was seduced by life, fell for its charms, but
In the end, you die in your own arms.

Though I followed the scriptures to the word
And gave my God and king my sword
No hope, no heav'n, no God to save.
All awaits me's a gaping grave.
I sought heaven's light so bright and warm, but
In the end, you die in your own arms.

I toiled long in hot, harsh sun.
I shod the good horse, shot the lame one.
I laid up riches, bought up land.
I died a rich and bitter man.
I built on earth a home, a farm, but
In the end, you die in your own arms.

I held you, safe, with these two arms, but
In the end who remembers or mourns?
In the end you die in your own arms.
This the fate for which you're borne.